Tuesday, September 12, 2017

TTT: Gems Published 7 or More Years Ago!

Hey everyone and welcome back to my blog! I'm Genni, and today I'll be participating in Top Ten Tuesday, which is hosted by The Broke and Bookish. I don't do these memes on a weekly basis, but I loved the topic of this week! Today's topic is: "Throwback Freebie: Ten Books I Loved During The First Year I Started My Blog, Favorite Books Published 5 or 10 or 15 Years Ago, Ten Older Books I Forgot How Much I Loved, etc. etc. Tweak however you want!"

So with this throwback freebie, I decided to highlight some books that have been out for 7 years or more. 7 years ago, I was 11 years old, and not just starting to get into reading again. Whether I read them in sixth grade or just last week, here are some gems you might now know about!

Here are my favorite books that are seven years or older! All links are to goodreads. :)


10) Marmalade Boy by Wataru Yoshizumi
I will never stop talking about this manga series. I just absolutely love it, and whenever I need a good ol' pick me up, I read this. The manga was published in volumes in 2003, which was 14 years ago! Even though it's been a while since they've been published, I think that the series is till timely.


9) Dr. Franklin's Island by Ann Halam
I'm going to say this right off the bat: this book is really f*cking weird. And well, I love it. I remember reading htis in fifth or sixth grade. I read it in 2014 to see what I thought about it again, and I really liked it! I don't LOVE it by any means, but I recommend it!


8) When it Happens by Susane Colasanti
When It Happens was published in 2006, and though you can kind of tell, it's not too bothersome. When It Happens was one of the first YA books I read, and at the time, I really loved it. I have since read it again two times, and I still stand by my opinion. To me, this is a classic YA contemporary.



7) The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
This was published in March of 2007, and was one of my favorite books when I was growing up. If I read this book the year I was published I was 8 years old. I remember absolutely loving how smart the main characters were, and finally connecting with kids my age in books. (Besides PJ&O of course!)

6) Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
I'm sure that this will make a ton of lists today! The series is so popular, and for good reason.Vampire Academy is known for being trashy, but i don't think its' not deserving of that title. The series actually focuses on a lot of hard topics, such as grief. I think it only got it's reputation of being trashy because of those covers. Because let's admit it, they're not good.

5) I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder
I absolutely love I Heart You, You Haunt Me. It's written in verse, and is only 227 pages. I have reread this every year since I read it in 2013. I get something new out of it every time, and I also cry every time. This is one of my favorite books of all time, and I urge you to read it!! 

4) The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han
I can't believe this was published more than 7 years ago! The pretty trilogy was so formative in my teenage years. I found a YA protagonist that had a lot of me in it. I was able to really insert myself into the book, and I had the best experience reading the series. I've probably read the last book, We'll Always Have Summer, at least five times. This series cemented Jenny Han as one of my favorite authors. I seriously need to reread all of these!

3) Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler
Holy shit. This book tears out my heart every time I read it. I've only read it two or three times, simply because it can be a hard read. The story is basically about a girl who goes on vacation with her best friend a year after her best friend's brother's death. Little did the best friend know, but the girl and brother were dating and she is still trying to get over him. Talk about DRAMA. 
 
2) Hold Still by Nina LaCour
Nina LaCour is a YA contemporary author, and I absolutely loved Hold Still. I've only read it once, so I'm really due for a reread. From what I remember, the book deals with grief (I think the MC's best friend died) and is told in a multimedia perspective. 

1) The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
I read this book way back when in 2012, and it rocked me to the core. I say I want to read this again, but I honestly don't know if I ever will, simply because it is so heartbreaking and hopeful at the same time. I love a good cry, but this makes me sob uncontrollably.

So...have you read any of these books? What did you think? What are some of your favorite book published seven years ago? I'd love recommendations. :)

Thanks so much for stopping by and I'll see you soon with another post!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

6 comments:

  1. OOh nice! I only recognize Vampire Academy to be honest! It made my list too! So yay! LOL!

    Here's my Tuesday Post

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's alright!! I knew some of these wouldn't be too recognized. :) Back in the day I didn't have goodreads and just read whatever looked promising! Yay to VA making your list too! It's so deserving of all the love. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh seing the cover of Marmalade Boy is so weird after all this time. I haven't read anything else - except vampire academy - but I'm going to add them all in my TBR ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's definitely a throwback! I'm glad I introduced you to some new stuff! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh I ADORE the Vampire Academy. It's still on the top of my list for all time favourite series to this day. It stands the test of time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I love about VA! So many people have read it at different times, and yet it's still so well-loved. The books don't feel "old" at all!

      Delete