Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Waiting on Wednesday #45

Hey everyone and welcome back (or to!) my blog! I'm Genni, and today I'll be participating in Waiting on Wednesday. WoW was hosted by Jill @ Breaking the Spine. Every week we showcase an upcoming release we are excited about. Jill hasn't been posting for quite some time, so Tressa @ Wishful Endings has adopted and renamed WoW to Can't Wait Wednesday.

For this week, I chose Achilles by Greg Boose, out September 26th!
The year is 2221, and humans have colonized an earthlike planet called Thetis in the Silver Foot Galaxy. After a tragic accident kills off dozens of teenage colonists, Thetis's leaders are desperate to repopulate. So the Mayflower 2, a state-of-the-art spaceship, sets off across the universe to bring 177 new recruits to the colony.

For Jonah Lincoln, an orphaned teen who's bounced between foster homes and spent time on the streets of Cleveland, the voyage is a chance to reinvent himself, to be strong and independent and brave the way he could never be on Earth. But his dreams go up in smoke when their ship crash-lands, killing half the passengers and leaving the rest stranded--not on Thetis, but on its cruel and unpeopled moon, Achilles.
Between its bloodthirsty alien life forms and its distance from their intended location, Achilles is far from an ideal resting place. The situation is already dire, but when all of the adults suddenly disappear, leaving the teenage passengers to fend for themselves, Jonah doubts they'll survive at all, much less reach Thetis. Especially when it appears Achilles isn't as uninhabited as they were led to believe.
Why I'm Waiting

I was actually approved for Achilles on Netgalley a while back, but didn't get to it until this past Saturday. As of that night, I'm halfway through exactly! So far, I'm enjoying myself while reading this book and thought it needed some more attention. Achilles starts off with a bang (quite literally) and hasn't let up since then, which I really appreciate for a sci-fi/survival story! I'm having trouble connecting with the characters, but the plot is living up to my expectations. I'm really looking forward to what more people have to say when the book releases later this month! 


What are some of your favorite books set in space? I'd love some recommendations. :) 

Thanks so much for stopping by and I'll see you soon with another post!

Happy Reading!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

Update: I finished the book today (Tuesday) and enjoyed it, but didn't love it. I had some problems with the characters and pacing, all of which will be discussed in my review, which should be coming this weekend if all goes well! 

10 comments:

  1. I love books that start with a bang! And so happy you're enjoying it :) Will keep an eye out for your review.
    Great pick, Genni!
    Here's my WoW

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really did grab my attention from the get-go! Unfortunately, it lost some as the book went on! Thanks Amy! :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh nice! That's a totally new to me one! Haven't heard of this author either! Hope you love it once you read it!

    Here's my WoW

    Have a GREAT day!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! I actually did finish reading it! Didn't love it, but it was okay!

      Delete
  3. I never read books set in space but I'm intrigued by this "bang" :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not? Is it just not what you like? The bang is pretty big!

      Delete
  4. I'm actually holding a giveaway for 3 ARCs of this book on my blog. I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to get around to reading it myself actually. Great choice this week.
    Here is my WOW 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's awesome! I won't enter just because I already have an e-arc though! :) I hope you do! It's a book I can see a lot of people loving.

      Delete
  5. Sorry this wasn't excellent but it does sound like it was fast- paced. Have you read The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet? That's probably my favorite recent space read. Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fast paced so even with my problems, the book went by quickly! I haven't heard of either of those, but I'll check them out on goodreads! Thanks for sharing! :)

      Delete