Monday, October 2, 2017

September Wrap Up!

Hey everyone and welcome back to my blog!! I'm Genni, and today I'll be wrapping up September!

September was such a crazy month for me. College really kicked into high gear, and I was focused solely on that. There was one week where I had three papers and a midterm, so as you can imagine, I was super busy! My sister did come down though one weekend, and I stayed one night at my home. It was nice to just relax and have a change of scenery for 24 hours. The next weekend, I went home to take care of my dog while my parents had a mini vacation! Even though I was a bit jealous and kinda wanted to go with them, it was so nice to be in town and have the house to myself. I also missed my dog a lot this month, so we got some much needed quality time.

The only really bad thing that happened, was that when I tried to go home, my car was completely dead!! It's a new battery, so even though it was sitting for three weeks, it should have been working. My dad just exchanged the battery (yay for warranty!), and my car is running again!! 


Book I Read This Month!
My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent
So I completely picked this up on a whim for a readathon, and I was pleasantly surprised! You can check out my review here! The book had a lot of stereotypical characters, and the book meandered for quite a bit. However, the writing really kept me hooked and the plot was very inventive. I won't say what the paranormal creatures are, but I hadn't even heard of them until reading this. I have My Soul to Take 3 out of 5 Stars, and I will be continuing on with the series. 

Until Friday Night by Abbi Glines
I also read Until Friday Night on a whim! It was free for a small period of time via Riveted Lit, and once I started reading I couldn't stop. Abbi Glines is a very well loved YA and NA author, but something just didn't click for me and this book. Yes, I enjoyed it, but I also had a fair share of problems with it too. Here is my review for more detailed thoughts! I gave the book 3 out of 5 Stars, and won't be continuing with the series. 


Plague Land by Alex Scarrow
I have yet to review this, and it's solely because the book was very "meh" to me. None of the characters stood out, and I had a hard time relating to them or empathizing with any of them. The last 10 percent of the book was my favorite part, and what I wanted from the whole story. Instead, the majority was very slow and I was never scared while reading this post-disease ridden world. A full review will be up within the next two weeks! I gave Plague Land 2 stars

Everneath by Brodi Ashton
This is probably the book where I had the most fun with in September. This just gave me those YA trilogy vibes that have been sorely missing from my reading! Though there were definite flaws in this book, I'm glad I picked it up. I didn't love the narration for the audiobook, so I would suggest just reading it in print. The best part of this book was the main character; I empathized with her so much. I will be continuing on with the series, but I'm nervous considering the reviews for the third book! 3.5 Stars!

Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
So I read Fun Home for class, and I really enjoyed it! I didn't love it, but I do see why it is so popular. Alison Bechdel is the person who created the Bechdel test. If you are unfamiliar with it, check out this website here! Even though I didn't love it, I think it's such an important read. I gave Fun Home 4 out of 5 stars!
 
Achilles by Greg Boose
This is yet another review book that really didn't work for me. Though I liked this more than Plague Land it was just okay. This book barely got 3 stars from me, and it was solely because of the last 20 percent. I wouldn't tell people to not read this book, but I wouldn't urge you to read it either. If you are looking for a book set on another plant with nefarious happenings, this does have that. However, it also has a cast of characters I didn't care for at all. I'm still trying to decide if I want to read the rest of the series. 

Unearthed by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
I was ecstatic when I was approved of this book on Netgalley!! If you don't know, I absolutely LOVE Kaufman and Spooners other series (Starbound trilogy) and the first two books in the Illuminae Files, which Kaufman co-writes, might just be the loves of my life. Maybe it was because I can in with mega-high expectations, but I just didn't love this one! The book and I didn't click, and I felt as if the plot was a bit stagnant at times. However, the last 30 percent is amazing, and was a five star read for me. I give Unearthed overall 4 stars, and will talk about it in my review which will be out closer to its 2018 release!

Heart on Fire by Amanda Bouchet
If I was estatic about being approved for Unearthed, I lost my shit when I got approved for Heart on Fire! Heart on Fire is the final book in the Kingmaker Chronicles, which is one of my favorite series. Though I thought this book wasn't as good as the second (which I LOVED), I still had such a wonderful time reading this. I am tickled pink that I got to read this book, and it was near perfect. You'll be seeing a full review of this closer to it's 2018 release date as well! 4.5 out of 5 stars!

Being Emily by Rachel Gold
This is another book I had to read for school, for the same class! Being Emily was such a lovely book about a transgender female. However, this is more for loved ones of trans people, and not for trans people. It's essentially a guide for what transsexualism is and how to or not to react. I'll probably be reviewing this soon! 3.5 out of 5 Stars!

So! Those were the 9 books I read this month! To be honest, September was kind of a downer in terms of reading for me! There was only one book I loved, and I was too caught up in schoolwork to really immerse myself in any of the books I read. 

Thanks so much for stopping by and I'll see you this Wednesday for another post!

Happy Reading!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

14 comments:

  1. Gennifer you had such a great reading month! And it's great to know that your car is working again! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! It was such a relief we were able to exchange the battery! :)

      Delete
  2. Even though you were really busy with school and stuff, you still read a lot of books! I'm looking forward to Unearthed - I loved These Broken Stars and I really need to get to the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised that I managed to read as much as I did! It helps when I have to read for class anyways. :) Enjoy the rest of the series! The second book was not as great for me, but the final book was amazing!

      Delete
  3. Glad your car is working again. You read some good reads though. I like Rachel Vincent and seeing My Soul To Take reminds me to continue the series. :-) Happy October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Freda! I really enjoyed reading My Soul to Take, and hopefully will read the second book this month! :) Have a great October as well!

      Delete
  4. You had a great reading month!
    Also even though like you said, it's not the best book/series, I love My Soul to Take and the Soul Screamers series. Maybe I read it at the right time or something but it's just great to me even with it's flaws lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! Also - love your new profile pic! You're hair is so pigmented and blue! I'm always too scared to die my hair. :)

      I had such a blast with My Soul to Take! When I was reading it, I thought it was pretty silly but it was so nice to read and not think too hard about the deeper meaning, haha! :D

      Delete
  5. I'm so excited for Kaufman's newest! Can't wait to see your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it! I had a blast reading it. I have yet to dislike anything she's written. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you had a good bookish month! I hope your October is even better! <3 Happy reading.

    - Poulami @ Daydreaming Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Poulami! I'm keeping my hopes up! :) You too!

      Delete
  7. I completely understand being busy with university! I'm in that same situation myself and it gets so hard to carve out time for blogging and reading. I'm glad you were able to, though! It's been a hot minute since I even thought about Everneath but I'm with you: there's nothing like those beginning YA vibes :) I hope you have a lovely October, Genni!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're in the same boat then! I completely agree with you. And I don't like having to say "okay, I'll blog at this time and do this post" because then it makes blogging feel like work, which I hate! Thank you Laura! You too! :D

      Delete