Sunday, November 1, 2015

October Wrap Up!

Hey guys and welcome back! Today I'm going to be doing my October Wrap Up! October was an amazing month for me, I got all A's for my first report card and just yesterday my band won Grand Champion at a competition we hadn't won since 2003! I read a total of 12 books this month, 2 being new adult, 3 were young adult, 1 classic, and 6 manga novels. School was really starting to kick up this month and marching band season is just finishing this weekend, so I am so happy I got to so many books.

1.) Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

I absolutely loved Everything, Everything! I was a bit hesitant because of all the hype, but the novel was everything I was anticipated and more. Eventually, I will be wanting to buy this and probably re-read it. Right once I got this book I picked it up and didn't move from my seat until I was done. I was thinking about doing a review on it, but my thoughts were seriously too jumbled to form coherent thoughts. Nicola Yoon surprised me by how mesmerizing her writing is and I'm excited to see what she will put out next. This is by far one of my favorite books of this year! I gave Everything, Everything 4.75 Stars!

2-7.) Boys Over Flowers: Hana Yori Dango Vol. 1-6 by Yoko Kamio

Boys Over Flowers is a really popular manga series that I have had my eye on for quite a while. I read one of Yoko Kamio's other manga series, Cat Street, earlier this year in February. When I was reading Cat Street, I liked it enough the first three and gave them three stars, but the ones following the first three got better and better with the last one getting the illustrious five stars. I had the same sort of feel for the first six novels for Boys Over Flowers. I didn't particularly love the first couple, but the series really picked up in volumes four, five, and six. I can see myself really loving this series, but since it is so long, (37 Volumes!!) I'm going to take my time with it and probably read it whenever I have free time. I gave the first two 3 Stars and the next four volumes each 4 stars. I don't read a lot of manga, but this seems right up my alley so I am looking forward to how the series is going to proceed!

8.) The Crucible by Arthur Miller

I had to read the Crucible for my AP English class, and I liked it a lot more than I was expecting. The last two acts in this infamous play were so dramatic and I enjoyed it so much! The only thing that kept me from loving this book was how it was a bit all over the place. It was hard to keep track of all the characters, but I think if I read it again, I would get even more out of it. I gave the play 4 stars! This also inspired a whole entire post on my blog about the Stigma Against School Books! Check it out if you want!

9.) White Hot Kiss (The Dark Elements #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

White Hot Kiss was so much fun! I didn't really know what to expect; I have read plenty of Jennifer L. Armentrout in the past, but didn't know if I'd enjoy the series. I'm happy to say that I really enjoyed the book! I had some minute problems with the novel, but the plot kept me going. I'm probably going to be reading its sequel soon! Check out my review if you want to learn more about how I felt! I gave White Hot Kiss 4 Stars.

10.) The Fill in Boyfriend by Kasie West

The Fill in Boyfriend was such a disappointment for me. It has pretty solid reviews, but I was surprised at how many problems I had with this! Gia, the main character, was so immature throughout the whole entire novel. I might try Kasie West again because I didn't have any issues with her writing, I just didn't like the premise as much as I thought I would. If you want to know more about all the problems I had with this, check out my review (more like rant) of this! I gave the book 2 Stars.

11.) The Pact by Karina Halle

The Pact was exactly what I needed after the massive disappointment that was The Fill in Boyfriend. The characters were fledged out and complex, and everything I needed. The more I think about it, the more I like it! My thoughts are more in depth here at my review, where I gave it 4.2 Stars. If you are looking for some new adult books to read, go over to a list of the Best New Adult Books I've Read This Year! If I had read this before posting that, The pact would have made the list!

12.) The Offer by Karina Halle

The Offer is a companion novel to The Pact. I didn't like it as much as its predecessor, but it was still really good. I think the only reason I didn't like it as much was because the romance wasn't as much of a slow burn as it was in The Pact. Even though I didn't like it as much, I still recommend the series. Both of these books were 99 cents each, and a third book in the series is also coming out! I gave The Offer 3.9 Stars.




How as your reading month? Have you picked up any of these books listed above? What was your favorite book of the month? Did you have any major disappointments 
 
like I did with The Fill in Boyfriend?

Thanks for stopping by and I'll see you again soon with another post!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

No comments:

Post a Comment