Tuesday, September 19, 2017

BOOK REVIEW | Sea Spell by Jennifer Donnelly

Title: Sea Spell
Author: Jennifer Donnelly
Series? Yes, a series of four books
Publication Date: June 14, 2016
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Source: I checked this book out from my local library.
Six mermaids battle to save their hidden world.

Serafina and the other mer have discovered that Orfeo, one of the six founders of Atlantis, is trying to unleash an ancient monster from its icy prison. Astrid, his descendent is summoned to Orfeo's stronghold where she must attempt to take his black pearl talisman. Meanwhile, Ava tracks another talisman in the swamps of the Mississippi. To get it she will have to face the murderous Okwa Naholo spirits.

Serafina, Becca, Ling, Neela ready themselves for war. In an epic final double battle, the Black Fin resistance must stop the Voleneros from taking over the mer realms and end Orfeo's plan to take the fate of the gods into his own hands. Can they prevent the destruction of their world?
The final book in the Waterfire Saga.

 
Sea Spell is the fourth and final book in Jennifer Donnelly's Waterfire Saga series! I started this series just shy of a year ago, and it was such a thrilling ride! I didn't LOVE the first book, but I really enjoyed it and knew that I would love the series if I continued. And I was right! Though Waterfire Saga isn't the best series ever, I had a ton of fun reading it and I think it is a great YA fantasy series!

I think that Sea Spell is an epic conclusion to the series. There was always a sense of danger throughout the book, and it really kept me going. I wasn't certain who would survive, which I really like! 

Much like all the other books in the series, this one is also fast-paced! There's always something happening, and my attention never waned from the book. I felt at times the action compromised the interpersonal relationships, but that is more of a personal complaint than anything else. I love my romances, and they weren't the main focus here. While I think that's the best choice, my shipper heart wanted to see a couple more interactions with all the couples!  

What's better yet is that this book isn't predictable. There's a pretty  big twist during the climax of the book that I was not prepared for at all. I love being completely taken aback, and I was while reading this! 

I've always said that I love the friendships in this series, and I'll say it again! I love how there is so much emphasis on friendship and teamwork. So many times women tear each other down in YA novels, and the friendships are toxic or shallow. In this series, we see what a real friendship is. Yes, everyone makes mistakes and people get in fights, but that's how friendship works! It's not always rainbows and butterflies the whole time! I love how in the midst of a fantasy novel like this, there is a great example of women supporting each other.

This series lacks is complexity. Though the series was fun to read, a lot of it seemed a bit juvenile at times. I think I would have enjoyed this a smidgen more if I were 15 or 16 years old now. If you are just starting out reading YA fantasy, I think this series if a good pick! If you are more picky with your YA fantasy, this series might not have the X factor that you are looking for. Personally, I read this series more for fun and didn't really take a critical look on it. I try and do that sometimes, but it's more fun for me to just enjoy the story as it goes instead of looking for flaws. 

Some of my favorite characters also didn't get a lot of page time. I really loved Dark Tide, the third book in this series, because it had a heavy focus on Ling. In Sea Spell, I felt like I barely saw her, and kind of missed her! She is one of my favorite characters in the series, and she wasn't used a lot. Neela also didn't have much emphasis in this book either.

Besides my couple complaints with the book, I still very much so enjoyed myself! I think that anyone who loves YA fantasy should give this a shot. If you are new to fantasy, I would highly recommend this! I haven't read anything else by Donnelly except this series, but I'm planning on reading more! 


With that, I give this book
4.5 out of 5 Stars!





Have you read this book? What did you think?

Thanks so much for stopping by and I'll see you soon with another post!

Genni  @ Ready, Set, Read!

2 comments:

  1. I'd read the first three books of this series, but unfortunately I never got around to reading this final one! It sounds lovely, though I definitely would want more romance too. I think this series feels like a series for a younger YA audience, which is cool. I'm glad you enjoyed this conclusion, Genni!

    Have a great week. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that on goodreads! I always read your review of a book while I'm reading it! :D No pressure! Haha. :)

      I completely agree about the younger YA audience! I think this series would have been an all time favorite if I was fifteen!

      You too Alyssa! Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete