Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Waiting on Wednesday! #5

Hey everyone and welcome back to my blog! I'm Genni, and today I'll be participating in weekly meme Waiting on Wednesday. Waiting on Wednesday is hosted by Jill @ Breaking the Spine. Every week we highlight upcoming releases we are excited about!

This month I am participating in SciFi month, which is hosted by Rinn @ Rinn Reads and Lisa @ Over the Effing Rainbow! In order to tie that in, I am going to be showing everyone an upcoming science fiction read I'm looking forward to. 

This week, I chose Cold Summer by Gwen Cole!

Here are Cold Summer's stats:
Pages: 256
Publsiher: Sky Pony Press
Expected Publication Date: May 2, 2017
Today, he’s a high school dropout with no future.
Tomorrow, he’s a soldier in World War II.

Kale Jackson has spent years trying to control his time-traveling ability but hasn’t had much luck. One day he lives in 1945, fighting in the war as a sharpshooter and helplessly watching soldiers—friends—die. Then the next day, he’s back in the present, where WWII has bled into his modern life in the form of PTSD, straining his relationship with his father and the few friends he has left. Every day it becomes harder to hide his battle wounds, both physical and mental, from the past.

When the ex-girl-next-door, Harper, moves back to town, thoughts of what could be if only he had a normal life begin to haunt him. Harper reminds him of the person he was before the PTSD, which helps anchor him to the present. With practice, maybe Kale could remain in the present permanently and never step foot on a battlefield again. Maybe he can have the normal life he craves.

But then Harper finds Kale’s name in a historical article—and he’s listed as a casualty of the war. Kale knows now that he must learn to control his time-traveling ability to save himself and his chance at a life with Harper. Otherwise, he’ll be killed in a time where he doesn’t belong by a bullet that was never meant for him.
Why I'm Waiting

A boy with a time traveling issue? HECK YES. If that doesn't draw you in, I don't know what does. I love the idea that Kale doesn't know or why this is happening. I've also never read from the POV of a person who has PTSD. I'm looking forward to seeing how Cole will tackle it. Hopefully with grace! This seems like a great coming of age story with an awesome science fiction twist on it!

What did you pick this week? Are you looking forward to Cold Summer?

Thanks so much for stopping by and I'll see you soon with another post!

Happy Reading!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

22 comments:

  1. I've never seen this book before but that cover is sooo pretty!! and did you just said time traveling? now, I'm interested. Nice pick, Genni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen it talked about that much, so I'm not surprised you haven't heard of it! isn't it beautiful?? I love it! Thanks czai!

      Have a great rest of your week!
      Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of this one but WOW Tue cover & summary are amazing!! Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is what made me interested at first and then the synopsis sold me! You're welcome! :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard of this one till now, but that cover! And I love historical fiction/time travel stories1 Great pick! Thanks for stopping by Lisa Loves Literature's WOW earlier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! I've only read a couple of historical fiction/time travel stories, which is one of he reasons I can't wait for Cold Summer! You're welcome!

      Delete
  4. This sounds like such a great book! I'm always on the lookout for a good time-travelling story. Plus the cover is gorgeous, so an added bonus! Great pick :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika! Time traveling can be done very well and very poorly! Here's hoping this is the former.

      Happy Reading!
      Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

      Delete
  5. I'm loving the cover and I never could resist a good sci-fi story (: Great pick, thanks for sharing!

    Here's my WOW (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Cyn! I'll be sure to check out your WoW! :)

      Delete
  6. Woah! I feel like my mind is going to be blown by this book, it sounds so awesome and unique! Amazing pick :) *adding to my TBR list on Goodreads ... NOW*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha same here Kayla!! Thanks! Have a great rest of your week.

      Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

      Delete
  7. This one is new to me but it looks good! I love time travel stuff. Hope this one is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time travel is one of my favorite plots. My fingers are hopefully crossed! Thanks for visiting Greg!

      Delete
  8. I've never seen this book before! The cover reminds me of the Claudia Gray books (A Million Worlds with You, etc.). I hope you enjoy this book when you get a chance to read it!

    Thanks for visiting my blog! Have a wonderful week, Gennifer. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought gut too! Especially because I just finished A Thousand Pieces of You, so it's been on my mind. :)

      You're welcome! You too Alyssa!

      Delete
    2. It first glance I thought it was new book in that series, I haven't got around to read any of Claudia Grey's books yet, would you recommend them?

      - Hills of Books

      Delete
  9. OMG this is one of my most anticipated debuts of 2017! It sounds absolutely amazing, I love books with romance and time travel. Hopefully we both love it. Awesome pick ^_^

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The combination of romance and time travel just fit together so well for me! Thanks Brittany! Here's hoping! :)

      Delete
  10. Firstly, what a pretty cover! I am not sure it's my normal book but I would be intrigued by read from the POV of someone with PTSD.

    - Hills of Books

    ReplyDelete