Wednesday, September 11, 2019

August Wrap Up!





Hi everyone and welcome back (or to!) my blog! I'm Genni, and today I'll be going over which books I read this past August. August was such a busy month for me, both reading-wise and personally!

Without further ado, here are the 10 books I read last month!


An Offer from a Gentleman by Julia Quinn


An Offer from a Gentleman is the third book in Quinn's Bridgerton series, which I have been consuming at a break-neck speed. I have taken a break since reading the fourth book, but this third iteration did not disappoint. I would highly recommend this series if you are trying to get into the historical romance genre!  


Check, Please! by Ngozi Ukazu


I picked up Check, Please! for a readathon that I completely dropped the ball on. Nevertheless, I am so happy I picked this one up, and I'm looking forward to reading more about Bitty and Jack when the second volume releases. 

Maybe This Time by Kasie West


I've had a rocky relationship with Kasie West. Some of her books I've really disliked, others were just okay, and there were a couple that shined. Maybe This Time fell into this weird limbo where I liked certain aspects, but was generally annoyed the whole entire time. I do think it's a good read for some people, but it just wasn't for me. 

Containment (Sanctuary #2) by Caryn Lix

After a slew of contemporary reads, I picked up a science fiction book! Containment is the sequel to Caryn Lix's debut novel, Sanctuary, which I read and reviewed last year. I received the sequel through Netgalley, and I'm so glad I got the chance to read it. The sequel expanded the world while still remaining grounded, and ended spectacularly. It's a wonderful sequel! 

The Drama Years by Haley Kilpatrick

 

I started reading The Drama Years a couple months back as research for a middle grade novella that I was writing for a class. I didn't read the whole thing for my research, and put it on the back-burner until the end of the summer when I had some free time to finish it up

Start Here by Trish Doller


I received an ARC of Start Here is exchange for an honest review this summer, and I'm so happy that I got a chance to read it! Start Here is a coming of age novel that follows two friends, Willa and Taylor, the summer after the death of their best friend, Finley. The novel is sad and heartbreaking at times, empowering in others, and left me with a smile on my face at the end. If you want to read a book that wonderfully tackles the complexities of grief, friendship, and growing up, then this is the one for you.

Royally Matched by Emma Chase


Royally Matched was my third audiobook of the month after An Offer from a Gentleman and Maybe This Time. While Royally Matched was fun, and I loved The Bachelor spin on a romance novel, I just didn't connect with this one. I didn't dislike it, but I didn't think about it after I listened to those last minutes. 

A Curse so Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer

 
  
Once again, after I read a good amount of contemporary novels, I ventured somewhere else! A Curse so Dark and Lonely is an inventive and fresh take on the Beauty and the Beast fairytale. I loved the disability representation, and the ending was good enough to read as a standalone, but left just another for what I'm sure is going to be a great sequel.

Rusty Nailed by Alice Clayton


After my little foray into fantasy, I went back to my romance comfort zone with Rusty Nailed by Alice Clayton. Last year I read Wallbanger, and though I took a hiatus to read Clayton's other series, I jumped back into this one after some time away. Rusty Nailed was fun and hilarious, with some great characters (both core and secondary).

Dear Sweet Pea by Julie Murphy


   Last but certainly not least is Dear Sweet Pea, which is one of my favorite novels of the year. It's releasing on October 1, and I cannot wait for everyone to read it. Murphy expertly tackles middle-school issues, from mean girls and crushes to body-shaming and divorce. Sweet Pea is such a wonderful protagonist, and I cannot wait to read more from Murphy!




As I mentioned August was super hectic for me! Mid-month, I moved into my apartment and WOW, it was a lot more work than anticipated. Luckily, my apartment came fully furnished, but the shopping still took quite some time. Moving in went totally fine, and I actually had a great day with my sister! There was the issue of wi-fi, which I didn't have for a couple days after move in, but I figured it all out!

A handful of days after I moved in, I started my junior year of university! I can't really wrap my head around being an upperclassman, but I feel really at home with my surroundings, my friends, and my majors. But what comes with starting college? A ton more responsibilities! I'm the co-Campus Correspondent/editor in chief of my university's chapter of Her Campus. Her Campus comes with a steady stream of work, but I really love working for Her Campus. It's rewarding both to see my own work on the site, and see other writers, editors, and social media correspondents grow! Another responsibility I have is being the president of another student organization. This org is a club about books, but not a book club. I'm really focused on getting our name out there and growing our membership this year, and our first meeting went really well! Lastly, I'm also still working! I did cut down on my hours, given that I have a lot more to juggle, but it's always nice to have a little expendable outcome, so I don't need to worry if I forget to cook a meal one day!


How was your August? What was your favorite book of the month?

Happy Reading! I'll see you soon with another post. :)

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

No comments:

Post a Comment