Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Book Review: Deception by C.J. Redwine

Deception was everything I wanted and I had an amazing experience reading this kick-ass sequel!


The second novel in a trilogy, Deception follows our two main characters, Logan and Rachel, as they fight to survive after their city-state was destroyed and against new enemies. While Logan now has more than 100 people looking up to him for leadership, Rachel tries to cope with her new reality and tries to face her new life without those she held dear.

Logan and Rachel are both such strong characters. In fact, Rachel is one of the strongest female protagonists I have ever read in young adult novels. Both are so fierce in their beliefs and I love how their partnership is not only romantically inclined, but politically as well. They face everything together, which is something I really appreciate. There is nothing that they hold back from each other and it was extremely refreshing to read.

The plot never slows down and always captured my attention throughout the whole entire novel. In Deception, Logan and Rachel are headed to a city-state looking for allies. Along the way, they not only gain followers, but enemies as well. The plot twist at the end of the book was astounding. A character that is introduced in Deception is revealed to be more than they say they are, andd I never would have guessed the twist in a million years! The shock value of it was off the charts, and that alone made the book so much better. I'm interested to see how it's going to turn out in the next novel, which is also the conclusion.

My only complaint is that it was hard to get back into reading through Rachel's perspective. Reading from her mind does have a bit of a learning curve just because her voice is so different that most young adult female protagonists. There were times I did not like her as much as in the first novel, but she did have some amazing character development later on in the story, and I am so excited to see this new Rachel in Deliverance.

Since the series has been completed, I would recommend reading these right after each other. I forgot a lot of key points from Defiance when I started reading this one. Because of that, I am planning on reading the concluding novel sometime around August, or at least before the year is over. I definitely recommend this series if you are looking for a refreshing and unique dystopian that will keep you on your toes.

With that, I give this book

4.2 out of 5 Stars!





Want to read some more reviews about this book? Click here for the goodreads page!

No comments:

Post a Comment