Saturday, August 12, 2017

#TheReadingQuest Sign Up Post!

Hey everyone and welcome back to my blog! I'm Genni, and today I am doing my sign up post for The Reading Quest! It's a video game inspired reading challenge, and it sounds like a blast! Aentee @ Read at Midnight is hosting, and CW of Read, Think, Ponder did all the artwork! They've worked together to create this wonderful quest, and it starts on the 13th! And yes, that is the day #MakeMeRead finishes, so it is in perfect time!

If you want to know more about the readathon, go over here for Aentee's explanation of it!


As you can tell from my character card, I chose the character mage! Down below are all the different quests. As a mage, my quests are the first down column.
I do hope to go on to do other characters and complete side quests, since the readathon lasts until September 10th. I'm not going to give myself a goal or anything though, just so that I don't get disappointed in myself. This readathon coincides with my first month at college ever, so my life will be pretty hectic. Without further ado, here are the books I am planning on reading for the mage!


The First Book of a Series - The Reader by Traci Chee

I'm actually planning on reading this before the 13th, but if I don't get to it by then, I'm for sure reading it for this readathon! I don't know too much about The Reader except that it's about a girl who finds a book, but is set in a future where books aren't supposed to exist anymore. And I'm pretty sure her dad is missing and/or was kidnapped? It's something along those lines! I obviously don't know too much, but a lot of my friends really enjoyed it. Besides that, I might read The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. I've owned the book for around 3 years now, so it's pretty pitiful I haven't gotten around to it yet.

A Book Set in A Different World - Ten Thousand Skies Above You by Claudia Gray


So this technically might be cheating because the "base world" in this book is still ours, but the main characters in this series do travel to alternate worlds that are essentially "what if?" scenarios. This series is very problematic (read all about it here, it's an excellent post by Liam at Hey Ashers!), but I still want to continue on with the series and see if the author addresses it in the second book. It's very hard to like something that is so problematic, and I kind of feel guilty for still reading on, but I think half the battle is acknowledging that the book is problematic and condemning it.

A Book Based in Mythology - Reunited by Colleen Houck

All right! This might be my most dreaded book to read out of all of these. I told myself I was going to finish the series, but I really didn't like the second book (which I just read). However, I did really like the first book and hope that the third will redeem the series for me. I just don't have high hopes... Yikes!

A Book That Contains Magic - Sea Spell by Jennifer Donnelly


On the other hand, this might be my most anticipated book out of this TBR! I absolutely love Donnelly's Waterfire Saga series, and this will for sure be an epic conclusion. To be honest, I want to read this right now, but I will hold out and instill patience instead. :D

A Book with a One Word Title - Achilles by Greg Boose

I actually got an ARC of Achilles via Netgalley, and it fits perfectly in with the readathon. I wanted to read it before mid September anyways to get my review out, so this is essentially killing two birds with one stone. Achilles sounds like an epic sci fi novel. Basically, a spaceship from Earth is sent out to another Earth-like planet after many of their residents die, only to crash on the intended planet's moon, Achilles. What's worse? All the adults have disappeared and they're are some angry aliens. Count me in! 

So those are my main books I plan to read for The Reading Quest! Are you participating in the readathon? I would love to know what you're planning on reading!

Thanks so much for stopping by and I'll see you soon with another post!

Happy Reading!

Genni @  Ready, Set, Read!

8 comments:

  1. Ooh, I haven't read the Waterfire Saga, but it looks awesome! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is!! If you want a series with a lot of girl power and no damsels in distress, then this is the one for you! Thank you! :D

      Delete
  2. This looks so fun! Nice picks too- Reunited and Achilles both look awesome. Good luck with the challenge! Mage seems to be a popular choice so far. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the whole readathon/challenge is very inventive and unique! Here's hoping they are! Thanks so much. :) I agree, mage is super popular! I think it's because fantasy is such a popular genre and it's easy to find books in the mage's prompts.

      Delete
  3. All of your books are fantastic choices - good luck with Reunited! I've heard mixed reviews about it, some say it's better than the second book, others not so much. 'Achilles' looks so fantastic! It's on my TBR (not for this readathon though) so I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope it's better than the second book, I didn't like it that much! Achilles sounds wonderful! Fingers crossed it is. :) Thanks Meg!

      Delete
  4. Hello Genni! Good luck on your quest! I read A Thousand Pieces of You and while I loved the sheer creativity in the world-building and technology (and, I admit, the cover got me first) - I was definitely uncomfortable with that controversial scene. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the second book and hope that Claudia Gray addresses *something* here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks so much! I also did like the creativity and technology (as well as the cover!) but the scene really just leaves a stain on the series for me. I hope so too!!

      Delete