Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Best Romance I've Read Last Year! | 2019 Yearly Rewind




As a lover of romance, I've read quite a bit of romance this year!

Here are my favorite romance books I read in 2019! Keep in mind that these are the books I read in 2019, not just 2019 releases. Additionally, this list will only be adult romance novels. If you want to see some other picks, here are my other lists for the year!



I know this is a bit late, but hey, better late than never! 

The Bromance Book Club by Lyssa Kay Adams


The Bromance Book Club is a shining star in the romance genre! It is the start of a new series by Adams - which do not need to be read in a specific order - that tackles toxic masculinity, emotional vulnerability, healthy communication, and reader shame. It was heartfelt, nuanced, and above all, sexy. If you love the second-chance romance trope and/or enjoy contemporary romances, The Bromance Book Club is a great start for you. 

Get a Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert
Another great contemporary romance? Get A Life, Chloe Brown! Chloe Brown is on a mission: to get a life. After a near-death experience, Chloe has a new lease on life and wants to make the mot of it, and her motorcycle-riding sexy superintendent just might be able to help. Hibbert's novel has charisma, chemistry, and passion. Chloe is also chronically ill and has an autoimmune disease, and I really appreciated the representation! Get your hands on it ASAP if you want a smart and sexy romance!


The Viscount Who Loved Me by Julia Quinn

If I only can pick one Julia Quinn book for the year, it's most definitely The Viscount Who Loved Me, which is the second book in Quinn's Bridgerton's series. I loved reading (or in this case, listening) about Anthony (that rake!) and his love story. Quinn's series is a wonderful balance among historical fiction, its tropes, and feminism. I can't wait to see how Shonda Rhimes adapts it for Netflix this year!

The Right Swipe by Alisha Rai

The Right Swipe was a sleeper-hit for me! I read and quite enjoyed the novel on first pass, but it's since stuck in my head quite more than I expected. The Right Swipe works both as a slow-burn, "once bitten, twice as shy" romance, but also serves as a commentary on racism and sexism within the workplace, and both intricately work together to silence women of color. I'm eagerly anticipating to read more from Rai after reading The Right Swipe, and since I just got the advanced reader copy of Girl Gone Viral, that future is not far from my grasp!

Red, White, and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston


Red, White, and Royal Blue took my Twitter feed and transformed all the people I follow stans of McQuiston and her debut novel. I wish I lived in the alternate universe of RW&RB in which a divorced woman and mother of two Latinx teenagers won the 2016 presidential election. The love story, which follows first-son Alex and HRH Henry was so angsty, swoony, and full of passion and healthy communication. Give me more!

The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren

It's no secret that Christina Lauren is one of my favorite authors. I mean, just search the author up in my blog, and you'll probably see at least five different articles discussing or mentioning the author duo. I tend to love (or, at the very least, really enjoy) everything they put out, and The Unhoneymooners was no different. The book screams "beach/summer read," but it's also great to escape the cold winter-y months for us Northern Hemisphere  inhabitants!

Well Met by Jen DeLuca

Goodreads | IndieBound

I read Well Met for the romance book club I co-lead with my colleague, and I had such a fun time! Well Met takes place during a Renaissance Faire, and I've never read anything about LARPing, the Renaissance, or anything like it. I loved the setting, and I can't wait to read more in the series. 

Would Like to Meet by Rachel Winters

Goodreads | IndieBound

Would Like to Meet just squeezed into this list! I read this novel mid to late December, and I was just completely taken with it. I'm a huge fan of the rom-com genre (in film), and Rachel Winters wrote a wonderful ode to the genre while adding her own spin to it. Follow a movie assistant as she tries to find her true love, all the while grappling with career roadblocks. Would Like to Meet is a romance chock-full of cute characters, a slow-burn romance, and an ending that will leave you smiling! 



Thanks so much for stopping by! What were some of your romance reads of last year?

Have a great day and I'll see you soon with another post!

Happy Reading!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

No comments:

Post a Comment