Thursday, June 21, 2018

Series I Won't be Continuing

Hi everyone and welcome back (or to!) my blog! I wasn't sure what to post today, but I have seen some other posts around similar to this one, and decided to add my two cents in. I've been feeling under the weather recently, but hopefully I'll be able to get my posts up in time! I have a pretty bad headache from all my congestion, which has allowed me to just relax, color, and listen to some audiobooks though, so that's my silver lining! 

Without further ado, here are some series I won't be continuing (as of now). I'm a mood reader, and though I'm pretty certain in my choices today, I just might feel an urge to pick the series back up down the road. 


I enjoyed The Edge of Everything by Jeff Giles enough, but I don't feel compelled to continue on with the series. This seems to be a duology, but I don't want to read a book just for the sake of finishing a series. 



I have very mixed feeling on Jeff Vandermeer's Annihilation. Man, these Jeff's aren't pulling through, haha! :D There were times when I was invested in the plot, but I didn't like the narrator's voice. While my sister is going to be continuing with the series, I didn't enjoy the first book enough to warrant reading another two. I'll just learn what happens in the next two books from her. 


Don't get me wrong, Unblemished by Sara Ella wasn't a bad book. In fact, after getting through the exposition, I enjoyed myself. But I don't feel any pull towards reading the sequels, and I know that if I do, I'll just be adding a less than raving review on goodreads. 




This is one that I'm actually on the fence about. I read My Soul to Take by Rachel Vincent around August last year, but I haven't made any attempt to read the second book. I had no idea that this series was seven books long when I started, and I just don't want to invest my time into such a long series right now. 



Whew, you guys. I thought Reawakened by Colleen Houck was okay. I then read the second book, and it went down a path I wasn't expecting. I read roughly 100 pages of the third book (Reunited) and just couldn't handle it. Nothing was really happening, and I had the epiphany that I simply did not care about what happened next. 


**gasp!!** How could I not read the Throne of Glass series?? Well, the answer is: I didn't like Celeana, I've heard bad things about the recent books, AND I have been spoiled on basically everything that I care about. To be blunt, I just don't give a shit about this series. At times I feel pressured to read such a well-loved series, but I don't want to read books just because they are so popular, especially if I don't like them. 


Rebel of the Sands took the YA community by (sand)storm when it was published. I even met Alwyn Hamilton a couple times, and she is so sweet and humble. But this book and I just didn't click. I thought Rebel of the Sands was okay, but I though the third act was weak and at times confusing. I might read something else written by Hamilton, but it won't be from this series. 


So those are the series that I've decided I won't be continuing! There are a couple others that I could have put on this list, but I could see myself eventually coming around to those series. 

Have you read any of these series? What is one series you think I should give another chance. Except Throne of Glass, I won't be changing my mind of that one. Sorry! :)

Thank you so much for stopping by and I'll see you soon with another post!

Happy Reading!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

10 comments:

  1. I was going to start the Reawakened and Rebel of the Sands trilogies this year. Oh, well, if I don't like them, I can just quit the series, I do that a lot! I just watched the movie Annihilation. I knew it was based on a book but didn't realize it was a series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked both of the first books in that series, so you might have better luck than me! There has been so much time between Rebel of the Sands and its sequel that I would also have to reread the first book to understand teh second. If all the books were out by the time I read Rebel of the Sands, I probably would have completed the series.

      I didn't realize the book was part of a series either until I started reading it and saw the other sequels on goodreads!

      Thanks for stopping by Angela!

      Delete
  2. I agree on Annihilation- I just don't know about that one. On the one hand I'm intrigued to know more, but on the other hand it was almost too weird?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You summed up my thoughts perfectly! I want to know what happens next, but I could never really wrap my head around what was actually happening during the book. But maybe that's the point?

      Delete
  3. Sacrilege!! Haha just kidding, I totally get why you wouldn't want to continue with Throne of Glass. I wish I would have sucked it up and not continued with The Mortal Instruments but I kept going, even though people told me what happened and I didn't enjoy the first few as much as I thought I would. Definitely spend your time on series' you're actually going to like :)

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, for a while there I was just reading TMI because all my friends loved it! I got pretty spoiled, but thought reading it was worth it, and now I'm a fan. But I didn't particularly enjoy City of Bones, City of Ashes, or City of Fallen Angels that much...and that's half of the series!! If I were told today to start reading TMI, I don't know if I would!

      Thanks for stopping by Laura!

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry Annihilation didn't work for you. I read and loved it so I decided to continue with the series. But after reading book2, I'm just like, wth? I've been thinking about buying the 3rd book or just borrowing it.
    I understand your thoughts for the ToG series. I've only read 2 books and I remember liking it when I first read it so I'll probably give it another go before actually dropping it. And I feel a bit pressured because I already have 4 books in the series. hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might give Annihilation another chance, but I think I would feel pretty meh on everything. I saw the movie and enjoyed it, and I that's enough for me for now. :)
      Yeah, if I owned some of the ToG series, the chances that I would read the series would be much higher! I'll just be listening to the spoilers to learn how it all ends!

      Delete
  5. I also won't be continuing Throne of Glass and Rebel of the Sands XD Awesome post! Thanks for sharing :)

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like they both weren't our tastes! Thanks Brittany! :D

      Delete