Friday, July 12, 2019

10 Exceptional Summer Reads


Hey everyone and welcome back to my blog! Now that summer is in full swing, I wanted to give some recommendations to you. Below are 10 exceptional summer reads.

You might be thinking, "what really makes a book a 'summer read'?" Well, in my head, summer-y books usually have at least one of these attributes.
  • Set in the summer or a summer-y location (beaches, pool, camp)
  • People are given another set of circumstances different from their usual. For instance, a YA summer book isn't going to be about the set of characters studying for tests. No, these characters are worried about summer jobs and love lives. 
  • The tone is light, and if the novel does have darker themes, there is humor to relieve some of tension.
This list is (obviously) not the "end all be all" of what requires a book to be a summer read. My list down below is contradictory, there's some books on here that match all these points, and some that match none. All of this is objective! If you are looking for a list of recommendations with moody tones and dark themes though, this list isn't for you. 

With all that out of the way, here are 10 reads that are perfect for the summer!



The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren


The Unhoneymooners has been raved about all over my Twitter feed, and for good reason. If you didn't know, Christina Lauren is one of my favorite authors, and they did not disappoint with their newest release, which is a hate-to-love romance that takes place in Maui. It's hilarious as well; I laughed out loud multiple times.




I had the absolute pleasure of reading an e-arc of There's Something About Sweetie earlier this year, and I absolutely fell in love with the book. I wish I had this novel when I was 16, when I was so insecure about myself. Reading about a fat MC like Sweetie was so inspiring, and this is by-far my favorite book of Menon's to date. Just writing about this makes me want to go back and reread it!

Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston


I wouldn't be surprised at all if you've already heard of this book! Red, White, & Royal Blue was all over my twitter feed upon its release, and I was so glad it was getting all the attention it deserves. RW&RB is part m/m romance novel, part political drama, and part slice-of-life. I absolutely adore the novel, and there's definitely been times I've flipped through my copy just to read some of my favorite scenes.



If you've been subscribed to my blog for a bit, you might have seen me recommend Hunger: A Memoir of (my) Body time and time again. I don't read too many memoirs, but this one has stuck in my mind since I read it two years ago. Gay's memoir is heartbreaking, resilient, and so vulnerable. I'm awed by how Gay opens herself up to her audience.

Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett


To be honest, all of Jenn Benett's YA novels are great for the summer. But when I think about them all, Alex, Approximately shines the brightest in my mind. The novel is a loose retelling of the rom-com classic You've Got Mail. The film references, beach-y setting, and summer job antics make Alex, Approximately stand out from the crowd.

Royally Lost by Angie Stanton


If I had one word to describe Royally Lost, it would be "whirlwind." If you are looking for a fun, fluffy, and whirlwind (young adult) romance to read this summer, Royally Lost is for you. I've sped read this a couple times over the handful of years I've owned it; Royally Lost is such an easy novel to read and perfect for the summer.

Girls With Sharp Sticks by Suzanne Young



If your reading tastes stray away from realistic fiction, than Girls With Sharp Sticks might be more up your alley. This novel by Suzanne Young is the first in a young adult science-fiction series. I was most captivated by the strong feminist themes and the friendships, which served as the foundation of novel. I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention, it definitely deserves more!

Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson   


Would this be a summer recommendations list without Morgan Matson on here? while she's written a plethora of summer reads (The Unexpected Everything, Amy & Roger's Epic Detour, Save the Date, etc.), I had to recommend the most obvious choice: Since You've Been Gone. Emily's best friend, Sloane, leaves without any goodbyes, instead leaving Emily a to-do list. What is Emily to do besides go through the list in a summer? Doing so pushes Emily out of her shell. Antics ensue, as does a very sweet romance.
 

Stay Sweet by Siobhan Vivian 

I read Stay Sweet last summer and I had an absolute blast. The novel is set in the summer and follows Amelia, a teen who finds herself unexpectedly in charge of an ice cream stand while she finds confidence in her abilities. When I think of summer read, my mind immediately jumps to this one. Reading about the sweet romance and even sweeter ice cream will transport you into a summer filled with possibilities.

Again, But Better by Christine Riccio


I read Again, But Better last month and it was perfect for the summer. Reading about Shane traveling Europe was a great escape from the sweltering heat outside, and I was charmed by the novel's humor.

And those were my recommendations for summer reading this season! Do you have any recs for the rest of the summer? 

Thanks so much for stopping by and I'll see you soon with another post!

Happy Reading!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

No comments:

Post a Comment