Sunday, August 7, 2016

August TBR!

Hey everyone and welcome back to my blog! I'm Genni, and today I'll be sharing with you the books that I am planning on reading this August! There are several books on this list that I don't necessarily want to read, but have to for school. 
Here are the books I want to read this August, in no particular order.

7) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
To be honest, I don't know the plot of Brave New World at all. I know it is a dystopian, but besides that,  I'm clueless. I want to go into Brave New World blind though, so I can have the element of surprise. This novel is a required reading for my AP class, so I'll have to read it his month.

6) Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Frankenstein is another book I am for sure reading this month! I have to read it for school, but I am very much looking forward to reading it. Frankenstein is much loved in the book community; I hope I'm not disappointed! 

5) 1984 by George Orwell
1984 is another required reading for my school! I've actually been meaning to read this for a while now, so I don't mind having to read it now. I would rather do it at my own time and pace, but I'll just have to get over that. 

4) The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson
I have actually already read Kiss of Deception! I finished it on the fifth, and I don't really know what to think of it yet. It's somewhere between 3 and 4 stars for me, but I don't have all my thoughts together as of now. I did enjoy myself, but I don't know if I'll be continuing on with the series. 

3) City of a Thousand Dolls by Miriam Forster
I've had a City of a Thousand Dolls sitting on my shelf and staring at me for over a year now, and I'm deciding it's time to actually read the book. The novel is Forster's debut and is a YA fantasy that takes place in an isolated estate where orphan girls go for refuge.

2) Passenger by Alexandra Bracken
I started reading this in July, but put it down because it wasn't holding my interest as much as I wanted. I was 100 or so pages in, and I want to give the book another go! Passenger was such a well loved book last year, and I'm hoping the second time around will be better. 

1) The Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye
The Crown's Game has been getting a lot of buzz recently. I wouldn't say hype, just because I've seen plently of mixed reviews, but it has been getting a lot of attention. I'm interested to see what I think about the book! Plus, that cover is to die for, and I'm not ashamed to say that it is one of the reasons I got it from my library. 

And those are the 7 books I am planning on getting to in August! I hope to read more than 7, but I'm setting it low for myself just in case. :D

And those are the books I am planning on reading this month? What books do you have on your TBR?

Thanks for stopping by and I'll see you soon with another post!

Happy Reading!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

18 comments:

  1. The mixed reviews on The Crown's Game convinced me to stay away from it. but that cover!! yes!! I really want it on my shelf but I really don't want to spend something I'm on the fence with.
    I hope you enjoy your tbr books!

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes mixed reviews convince me to read teh book instead of stay away from it, like in The Crown's Game. But I'm willing to DNF if I don't like it . :D The cover is one of my favorites of this year! Thanks czai! :)

      Delete
  2. I read Brave New World for my degree and it's an amazing book! Hope you enjoy it!

    Caitlin @ Words and Other Beasts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that!! It's the one that is the most intriguing to me out of the three I have to read. Thanks Caitlin. :D

      Delete
  3. I've been wanting to read Passenger for ages! But I kind of feel like I should read Bracken's first series before I read Passenger, so I'll probably wait until I do before reading it. I hope you'll enjoy the Crown's Game and Frankenstein! Those are both great books :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read the first book in Bracken's series and didn't like it, so I'm thinking of Passenger as the author's second chance for me. :) I hope you like the series, though! I have the unpopular opinion in this situation. Thanks Erika!!

      Delete
  4. I absolutely loved Brave New World and 1984. They are such great dystopian books and truly are classics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you like Frankenstein! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to read Brave New World and 1984 for AP Language and Composition too! I did end up liking them in the end although I'm actually glad that I had to analyze them for school because that seemed to bring out the interesting parts as weird as that sounds. I've also been wanting to read The Crown's Game because of all the hype I've been hearing (good and bad but mostly good)! I hope you enjoy!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean! While I don't necessarily like analyzing every single thing, I definitley understand the books on a deeper level. If I don't analyze books for school, I might understand something, but not why it happened. Thanks Laura! I'm actually just about to start Frankenstein tonight!

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you! Those are some of my most anticipated of this month. :)

      Delete
  8. The Kiss of deception and all the books in that series have such nice covers, and I've really been curious about them. I've been liking YA fantasy lately and may just have to try those. And City of a Thousand Dolls is a new one for me, but I like that description- an estate where orphans go for refuge- I have to admit that's a pretty good hook. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is what drew me in initially for The Kiss of Deception. I'm still so torn on what I actually thought of the book though. I hope you like them Greg! I've been hearing great things about the concluding novel. The plot is actually more murder mystery than fantasy in City of a Thousand Dolls, and it's entertaining so far!! Thanks for stopping by Greg!

      Delete
  9. Yay! Brave New World! It is one of my all time favorite classics, so so so good. I hope you like it! I'm rereading it soon for my senior seminar for history for college, and I can't wait to get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such good news! The other rising seniors have seemed to like it as well, except for the ending. Hopefully I'll have better luck! Thanks for visiting Gabriella! :)

      Delete