Monday, January 15, 2018

Mini Movie Reviews | The Shape of Water, Jumanji:Welcome to the Jungle, I,Tonya

Hi everyone and welcome back (or to!) my blog! I'm Genni, and I'll be doing some movie reviews for you today. All three of these movies should still be out in theaters, and I urge you to at least see one of these, if not all. We are only 2 weeks or so into the year, and I have already seen some wonderful films. Without further ado, here are my mini reviews!

The Shape of Water
Release Date: December 1, 2017
Run Time: 2 hours, 3 minutes
Genre: Fantasy, Romance
Rating: R

This is a film I know I'm going to re-watch so I can truly appreciate it all. Honestly, I have no words to describe how beautiful and well done this film is. There are so many scenes that stand out to me to the point where I feel an all consuming need to see it again. All the performances are amazing, but Sally Hawkins is flawless. She conveys so much without ever speaking, and her performance is what made the movie one of my favorites. The Shape of Water is heartbreaking, funny, disturbing, lovely, and endearing. I cannot wait to own this. Just...watch it. Please. 

I give The Shape of Water an A+. 

 

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Release Date: December 20, 2017
Run Time: 1 hour, 59 minutes
Genre: Fantasy/Action
Rating: PG-13

I watched Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle with my mom right before I left for my second semester of college. I wasn't expecting that much; I saw the positive reviews, but I didn't want to get my hopes up. I am thrilled that I decided to watch this! Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle thrives due to it's humor. My mom and I were basically laughing non-stop. 

If you don't know about this movie, it's a re-imagining of the original Jumanji. In this one, four teens in detention are sucked into a Jumanji video game. Actors like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and Jack Black usually play the same type of characters, and it was refreshing to see them play their opposites. The video game aspect also added a lot of fun. For instance, one character's video game "strength" was dance battling, and it led to one of the most hilarious scenes in the film. 

There were only two aspects that I was not completely sold on. First, I don't think Kevin Hart played a high school jock well; he was just Kevin Hart to me. Secondly, I was never worried that the characters wouldn't win the game

Besides those two points, the movie still achieved what it set out to do: entertain the crowd and make them laugh. And laugh I did!

I give Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle a B+.

I, Tonya
Release Date: R
Run Time: 2 hours, 1 minute
Genre: Sports Drama,
Rating: R

Whether you are familiar with the story of Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan, you are in for a ride with I, Tonya. I, Tonya is all about Tonya Harding, a famous figure skater known as the first American skater to land a triple axle, but also known for hindering prosecution and being possible responsible for the knee-bashing on rival American skater Nancy Kerrigan. 

Before watching this film, I did know about the knee-bashing, but I was under the presumption that Tonya Harding planned it all. The media antagonized Harding so much, and even though she ultimately not responsible, people always associate her as the villain. I loved this movie because it was made with so much respect. To understand how the whole Nancy thing happened, the audience has to understand who Tonya Harding is, and the movie developed her character so well. 

By the end of the film, I empathized so much for Tonya. Her career was destroyed by her ex-husband, and she was hated throughout America. Margot Robbie's performance was impeccable, as was Allison Janey's performance as Tonya's mother. The film also breaks the fourth wall at times, and was surprisingly funny. I laughed. I gasped. I cried. 
 
I give I, Tonya an A. 

Have you seen any of these movies or are planning on seeing them?

Thanks so much for stopping by and I'll see you soon with another post!

Happy Reading!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

8 comments:

  1. So funny - I just finished writing a post for later this week about my watching - probably because it was SO freezing for a couple of weeks there that was all I wanted to do. But I haven't seen any of these so thanks for some more recs because it's cold again!
    Jen Ryland Reviews
    PS Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike!! It's been so cold, and I've been watching a lot of movies because of it. :) I'm trying to even out my movie reviews so it doesn't look like I just watch movies all the time (which I do...) :D

      I hope you like these Jen!

      And of course. :) Thanks for visiting here!

      Delete
  2. We saw Jumanji a couple weeks ago and loved it! So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hilarious! And it wasn't too gory either, which is nice for the younger audience!

      Delete
  3. Great reviews, Genni!! I am so desperate to see these films and I've heard so much about them. I'm especially excited to see Jumanji because I love Karen Gillan :) And I'm expecting The Shape of the Water to win big at the Oscars! It's gotten so much praise.

    Love this post :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy! I didn't realize that Karen Gillan was the same actress was Nebula in Guardians of the Galaxy until I looked her up after the movie! I definitely didn't make the connection, haha! I wouldn't be surprised either! The Shape of Water just has that award-winning film. :)

      Thanks Amy! :D

      Delete
  4. I want to see The Shape of water, it looks so good!And I didn't know Margot Robbie was in I, Tonya. I kinda want to see that now too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you could tell from my reviews, I highly recommend them both!! The Shape of Water was stunning!

      Delete