Tuesday, January 2, 2018

My Favorite Movies of 2017!

Hey everyone and welcome back to my blog! I'm Genni, and today I'll be looking back at the movies I absolutely loved last year. Not all of these movies are 2017 releases, but they are all movies I watched for the first time in 2017 and absolutely adored. If you want more info, all the movies will be linked to their Imbd page, and if I wrote a review for it, a link will be there as well! 

With that out of the way, here are some of the best movies I watched in 2017 (in no particular order!)

Blackfish
Before watching this film, I had no idea what atrocities took place at SeaWorld. Orcas are meant to be in the wild, and while habilitation is humane and I encourage it, keeping whales in pools for their whole lives and expecting them to be okay with it, is proposterious. Out of the six I'm mentioning today, Blackfish is my favorite movie of the year and made a huge impact on me. Here is my review.  


Colossal took me by surprise. I watched this movie with my sister on a whim; we were bored, and decided to go to a local discounted movie theater. I was blown away by how well thought out this film is. While the plot is weird - Gloria, played by Anne Hathaway, realizes she can control a monster that is terrorizing Seoul and a lot of shit ensues - the movie was fantastic. This and Get Out (which I'll talk about soon) were two of the most inventive films I've seen. Here is my review.  


Unlike Colossal, I heard amazing things about Baby Driver before I watched the film, and I wasn't let down. While it's not my favorite of favorites, Baby Driver was a great movie. The performances, especially that of Jamie Foxx and Ansel Elgort, were amazing and the soundtrack flowed so well with the movie. If you're looking for a fun time, watch Baby Driver. If you are looking for a movie that questions morals, then this is the one for you too! Here is my review.

I can't believe I didn't watch Split when it was in theaters, and I completely regret it! I watched Split twice in the span of a month - it was that good. Split, like Get Out, is one of those movies you can watch again and again and pick up new things every time. Hopefully I'll get to watch this again soon. Also, James McAvoy's performance is spectacular. He plays a man with dissociative identity disorder, and all of the personalities were distinct and so well done. Here is my review.  


Get Out such an important film to watch, no matter where you live. Though it is especially relevant in America, Get Out can apply anywhere. Get Out isn't just a movie, it's a message for change, showing how ingrained racism is and it is constantly perpetuated, whether you are aware of it or not. And yet, the movie also has some laughs. Yes, the subject matter is serious, but I had such a good time watching this film between laughing at the jokes and trying to figure out the mystery of it all. 

The last movie I'll be mentioning is Tower, a documentary film about the mass shooting at University of Texas at Austin in 1966. Mass shootings are a growing epidemic in America, and with the media every day talking about shooters, I become desensitized. Tower refreshed my horror, as well as enlightened me on an event I had no idea existed. Politics aside about gun control and university police, Tower was a heartbreaking documentary that paid respect to the victims. Here is my review. 

Those are my favorite films of 2017! Have you watched any of these? What were some of your favorites? 

Thanks so much for stopping by and I'll see you soon with another post!

Happy Reading (and watching)!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

PS! Happy New Year!!

14 comments:

  1. The only movies I've heard of here are Split and Baby Driver! Thanks for introducing me to the others - I must check them out.

    I'm hoping to watch Baby Driver this week. Can't wait!

    Glad you enjoyed these, Genni :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for new movies!! I hope you love Baby Driver! :D

      Thanks for stopping by Amy!

      Delete
  2. I'm not a huge movie goer/watch and haven't seen any of these. I did think Baby Driver looked interesting, though, and I like Ansel Elgort. Might have to hit up Redbox or OnDemand for that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you couldn't tell, I love watching movies! I'm definitely not as critical as I am with reading, but I think that's because I read more often. :) Of course, I do recommend Baby Driver! It's a very fun and fast-paced movie!

      Delete
  3. These all look great, but Blackfish makes me sad. Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blackfish also makes me sad, but passionate as well! It's horrible that animals are being treated that way, but it's also a call to arms! Thanks for stopping by Greg!

      Delete
  4. I LOVED Blackfish(but it's very sad), Get Out, and Split!! The other movies I haven't heard of, but I should check them out sometime. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike!! I hope you like them Erin. :D

      Delete
  5. I STILL haven't seen Split and I really want to! The problem is that normally I watch movies with my mom and dad and my mom is very against any 'creepy' movies which Split would definitely classify as. I'm really hoping to watch it over winter break though. I hope you have a chance to see more awesome movies in 2018, Genni!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh no Laura!! I completely understand, though. I was hesitant to watch it, because I get scared very easily, but it was worth it! I hope you love it!

      Thank you Laura! You too! :)

      Delete
  6. I watched Split and Baby Driver after reading your thoughts and I loooved both the movies. I am very much intrigued to watch Collasal!!

    - Poulami @ Daydreaming Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, yay!! I'm so happy you loved both of them. <3 Colossal is so out there, and I love it! Enjoy. :D

      Thanks for stopping by Poulami!

      Delete
  7. I haven't watched any of these movies. I know, right? Shame!
    I did watched a lot of other movies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's all right! There are so many out there! :D
      I hope you have a great movie-watching year. :)

      Delete