Monday, January 1, 2018

Favorite Books of 2017!

Hey everyone and welcome back to my blog! Today I'll be discussing my favorite books of 2017, whether they are new releases or old. I did posts about my worst books, my favorite 2017 releases, and coming tomorrow are my favorite movies of the year.

Without further ado, here are the 20 (20!!! A fifth of my reads were wonderful!) books that I rated 4.5 stars or higher! All links are to goodreads, and I'll leave my review, if I have one, there as well. The order of these books are by date read, from the beginning of the year to the end.

1) Did I Mention I Miss You? by Estelle Maskame
Genre: YA Contemporary
Series? Yes! The third in a trilogy
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Goodreads Rating: 4.09

2) Dark Tide by Jennifer Donnelly
Genre: YA Fantasy
Series? Yes! The third in a series of four books
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Goodreads Rating: 4.36
My Review!

3) Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare
Genre: YA Historical Fantasy
Series? Yes! The second in a trilogy
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Goodreads Rating: 4.46
My Review!
 
4) Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett
Genre: YA Contemporary 
Series? Nope!
Rating: 5 Stars
Goodreads Rating: 4.02
My Review!


5) World After by Susan Ee
Genre: YA Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy
Series? Yes! The second in a trilogy
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Goodreads Rating: 4.21
My Review!
 
6) Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare
Genre: YA Historical Fantasy
Series? Yes! The third in a trilogy
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Goodreads Rating:  4.59
My Review!
 
7) Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han
Genre: YA Contemporary
Series? Yes! The third in a trilogy
Rating: 4.75 Stars
Goodreads Rating: 4.21
My Review! 

8) Follow Me Back by AV Geiger
Genre: YA Thriller
Series? Yes, a duology
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Goodreads Rating: 3.93
My Review!

9) Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Genre: Essay/Letter
Series? Nope!
Rating: 5 Stars
Goodreads Rating: 4.56

10) End of Days by Susan Ee
Genre: YA Post Apocalyptic Fantasy
Series? Yes, the third in a series
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Goodreads Rating: 4.1 
My Review!

11) When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon
Genre: YA Contemporary
Series? Nope!
Rating: 5 Stars
Goodreads Rating:3.8
My Review! 
 
12) Nyxia by Scott Reintgen
Genre: YA Science Fiction
Series? Yes, the first in a trilogy
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Goodreads Rating:4.09
My Review!
 
13) Heart on Fire by Amanda Bouchet
Genre: Adult Fantasy Romance
Series? Yes, the third in a trilogy
Rating: 4.5 Stars (originally, I lowered it to 4)
Goodreads Rating: 4.23

14) Hunger by Roxane Gay
Genre: Memoir
Series? Nope!
Rating: 5 Stars
Goodreads Rating: 4.29

15) Kindred by Octavia Butler
Genre: Adult Historical Science Fiction
Series? Nope!
Rating: 5 Stars
Goodreads Rating: 4.2

16) Run Away with Me by Mila Gray
Genre: New Adult Contemporary Romance
Series? Yes, the third in a series of companion novels
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Goodreads Rating: 3.96
My Review!
 
17) The Empress by SJ Kincaid
Genre: YA Science Fiction
Series? Yes, the second in a trilogy
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Goodreads Rating: 3.99
My Review!
 
18) This Mortal Coil by Emily Suvada
Genre: YA Science Fiction
Series? Yes, the first book in a trilogy
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Goodreads Rating: 4.2 
My Review!
 
19) The Chaos of Standing Still by Jessica Brody
Genre: YA Contemporary
Series? Nope!
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Goodreads Rating: 3.79

20) American Panda by Gloria Chao
Genre: YA Contemporary
Series? Nope!
Rating: 4.5 Stars!
Goodreads Rating: 4.32

Those are all my favorites! Of these twenty, I would say Heart on Fire is my least favorite. In sake for evenness, I kept it on the list, but the more I think about it, the less I love it. Heart on Fire didn't stay with me like the first two books, and I do think it's the weakest of the three. On the other hand, I can't decide which one is my favorite of these! Alex, Approx., Always and Forever, Lara Jean, This Mortal Coil, The Empress, Hunger, and Dear Ijeawele are all high up there. The first two are YA contemporary, the second pair are YA science fiction, and the last two are nonfiction. I didn't read much nonfiction, but I tended to really enjoy what I picked up. I hope to read more nonfiction, specifically that of Adichie and Gay, more in 2018. 

One thing I also noticed was how I became a more critical reader throughout the year. This Mortal Coil, which I said was one of my top favorite books, only received 4.5 Stars, instead of 5 stars, while Did I Mention I Miss You? (which I read earlier in the year) got the same rating, although I enjoyed that less than This Mortal Coil. My critical reading skills have grown throughout the year, and I've been able to hone in on my reading taste. I've been able to read more excellent books without as many bad eggs, and I hope it will continue this new year!

Have you read any of these books? What did you think of them? What are some of your favorite books of 2017?

Thanks so much for stopping by and I'll see you soon with another post!

Happy Reading! I hope you have a wonderful reading year in 2018!

Happy New Year!

Genni @ Ready, Set, Read!

14 comments:

  1. Looks like a great group of books!! I loved Alex too. Dimple was another I enjoyed. I am waiting for the audio of Hunger at the library. The Chaos of Standing Still is on my TBR so hopefully I get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does Gay narrate Hunger? I just might have to listen to something else by her via audiobook! I hope you like it Grace! Have a great week. :)

      Delete
  2. Nice list! Dimple is on my list to read, as are the Bouchet books and eventually the Cassandra Clare books. I don't read much contemporary YA, but Dimple looks too charming to miss.

    I've noticed that I give fewer 5-star ratings over the years that I've been reviewing and blogging. You may find that trend continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say that if you don't read too much YA, Dimple or Alex, Approx are the ones you should read! The other YA contemporaries are amazing, but I can see how they are garnered towards fans of the subgenre. :)

      I won't be surprised if I have less five star ratings this year! I tend to get more picky as time passes. :)

      Delete
  3. I can't believe I haven't read Alex, Approximately yet. It's just sitting on my shelf staring at me like, "What are you waiting for?" I NEED to read something from Mila Gray SOON! Love the Infernal Devices trilogy! Looks like you had a really great reading year with so many highly-rated books!
    Tanya @ Girl Plus Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no!! Alex, Approx is one of my favorite YA contemps ever, and it's so easy to read. I hope you love it when you get around to it. :D

      Mila Gray is so great. Her books have so much angst, and I just love it!

      Thanks for stopping by Tanya! Here's hoping that 2018 is as good as 2017 (in reading terms that is, haha!)

      Delete
  4. We have Penryn and the End of Days trilogy and When Dimple Met Rishi in common and some of them are in my tbr!!! Especially American Panda and The Empress!

    - Poulami @ Daydreaming Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike!! :D I hope you love American Panda and The Empress. They're completely different reads, but both spectacular!

      Delete
  5. An impressive list! It sounds like you had a great reading year, Gennifer. Several on your list are books I am eager to read. Hunger and Bouchet's series are near the top of my TBR pile.

    I hope you have anothrr great year in books this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking back at 2017, I read a lot of great books! The pros definitely outweighed the cons. :D

      Thank you! You too. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh this is such a great list, I am happy to hear you had a lovely reading year :) I loved When Dimple Met Rishi and I REALLY want to read Alex, Approximately and American Panda, I am so happy to see these on your list :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie!! I hope you absolutely LOVE Alex, Aprrox and American Panda! If you loved When Dimple Met Rishi, I would say the odds are in your favor. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Glad you had a good year of reading! Always and Forever was a fave of mine too, I loved how the series wrapped up :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always and Forever Lara Jean! I started the series last year but I never got around to reading P. S. I Love You. I need to though, and I was thrilled to read about a protagonist I could relate to. Thanks for sharing this list!

    claire @ clairefy

    ReplyDelete